The Barracuda Message Archiver is ideal for organizations looking to reduce their email storage requirements and boost user productivity with mobile or desktop access to any email ever sent or received.
The cloud-connected appliance uses the Barracuda Cloud to move information to the cloud as a secondary tier of storage.
In addition, the Barracuda Message Archiver also provides a powerful, yet simple platform for e-discovery and compliance.
Data is archived outside your operational email environment in a dedicated tamper-proof repository, ensuring it will be retained securely for as long as your need it without risk of corruption or deletion.
Reducing the volume of data managed by your email server can slash costs dramatically while increasing operational efficiency.
Users stay within storage limits without exporting PST files or purging data possibly putting your regulatory status at risk.
Our policy-based approach uses granular retention policies to ensure that you automatically retain each item of data securely for as long as it is needed.
This means you can confidently demonstrate you are meeting government and regulatory requirements, and operating defensible deletion policies.
It is easy to demonstrate the accuracy and completeness of your archive, and to provide the chain of custody for every item of data.
Role-based security controls ensure that only authorized personnel have access to data within the archive, and comprehensive audit trails record every system and user activity.
The indexed archive provides iterative, multi-level search and tagging capabilities to support complex audit and discovery exercises.
This drastically cuts the time and effort required to respond to discovery requests.
The intuitive, role-based interface makes it easy to quickly find specific messages when needed, and to demonstrate the accuracy and completeness of data returned for each case.
Selected data can be placed on legal hold on a case‑by‑case basis for as long as needed, then exported as needed for analysis or disclosure.
Access anytime and anywhere
Barracuda archiving solutions lets users easily access their archived data wherever they are working and from any device.
The multi-function Microsoft Outlook Add-In provides an integrated experience within their familiar Outlook client, and enables them to work seamlessly with both mailbox and archived data.
It also retains a local cache of archived messages to provide ongoing access while they are offline.
A standalone desktop client and a web interface to ensure anytime/anywhere access to archives via any device.
The Barracuda Message Archiver is available as a physical appliance or as an integrated virtual solution for on-site or in-the-cloud deployment.
Purchase and configure directly in the AWS Marketplace, or install locally on VMware or Hyper-V.
It can be configured to mirror data to the Barracuda Cloud, ensuring secure long-term retention and storage, and making it easier and quicker to recover from disasters.
The Barracuda Cloud Archiving Service provides a completely cloud‑based solution, managed and supported by Barracuda with no customer software or hardware required.
Barracuda’s extensive and robust global cloud infrastructure ensures security, and centralized management through the Cloud Control portal makes it simple.
Why an archiving solution?
Your data is critical to your business, so your message archiving solution should be backed up by people who take your data security as seriously as you do.
Hundreds of thousands of organizations around the globe rely on Barracuda to protect their applications, networks, and data.
Barracuda archiving solutions are part of a comprehensive line of backup, archiving, firewall, and security products and services designed for organizations seeking robust, affordable, easy-to-use protection.
- Archiving & Retrieval
- Archiving Email
- Barracuda can archive email messages from any standards-compliant email server or service, including cloud services such as Office 365 and G Suite, as well as email servers such as Exchange, Domino, and GroupWise. SMTP journal forwarding is used to capture an accurate and unmodified copy of each new message at the time it is sent or received, and the
- Message Archiver can also retrieve messages directly from email servers using the IMAP or POP3 protocols.
- Archiving Instant Messages
- Instant messaging is an increasingly popular form of communication, often used as an alternative to more traditional email messages. Barracuda can archive instant message (IM) conversations, conferences, and other content from both the on-premises and online Office 365 versions of Lync and Skype for Business. IM content is kept in the same secure archive as email data, providing a single solution for organizations to meet their archiving, compliance, and e-discovery requirements.
- Importing Historical Data
- Existing email data can be archived directly into Barracuda from Microsoft Exchange and Office 365 using the automated MAPI import capability. Data from most other email servers can be imported using PST files. There is no restriction or additional charge for using either of these approaches to archive existing data.
- Archiving Non-Email Content
- Data stored in Office 365 and Exchange includes appointments, contacts, tasks, and notes as well as email messages. Barracuda can import these items and manage them in the same way, so they will be retained in accordance with any retention policies that have been defined, and can be included in e-discovery searches. They can also be placed on legal hold for as long as necessary, and exported out if needed subsequently.
- Exchange Public Folders
- Email data stored in Public Folders in Exchange and Office 365 can be archived and then managed and searched in the same way as all other email data. This includes retaining it in line with defined retention policies, and placing it on legal hold if required.
- Mailbox Folder Synchronization
- Barracuda can replicate the folder structure from each individual user’s Exchange or Office 365 mailbox into their archive, making it very easy for them to search and retrieve historical data, and providing a consistent user experience across both current and archived data.
- End User Web Interface
- End users can access their archived data online via the role‑based web interface. This provides both basic and advanced search capabilities, and enables them to download and respond to any of their archived messages.
- End User Add-In for Microsoft Outlook
- Barracuda provides a multi-function for Microsoft Outlook add‑in that enables users to access and work with all their archived data directly from within their familiar Outlook client. It delivers a fully integrated experience which includes a combined search capability across both mailbox and archived data, and it can also retain a local cache of archived messages to provide ongoing access while they are offline.
- Desktop Search
- A standalone search utility is available for Windows and Mac OS X, providing a convenient alternative way to access and respond to archived messages from your desktop, without having to log in to your Outlook client or the web interface.
- Exporting Archived Data
- The Barracuda Message Archiver makes it easy for you to export selected data on both an ad‑hoc and a scheduled basis at any time, without incurring additional costs. This capability is available to both administrators and end users, and is managed through the standard web interface. Data can be exported in either PST or EML format.
- Archiving Email
- Compliance, Search & Discovery
- Retention Policies
- Barracuda provides customizable email retention policies, which ensure that an accurate and fully compliant copy of every email sent or received will be retained for the entire period required for that specific data. Retention policies ensure that an accurate and fully compliant copy of every email sent or received will be retained for the entire period required for that specific data. These policies include data in public folders, and can easily be configured to meet the most complex compliance and business needs.
- Legal Hold
- You can designate one or more auditors who can apply legal holds on specific information. Legal hold prevents the data from being tampered with until the hold expires or is removed. Barracuda can apply individual litigation holds to selected data on a case-by-case basis. Each hold will secure the data and prevent it from being amended or deleted for as long as required for each case, regardless of any other retention rules.
- Message Tagging
- Individual messages returned in search results can be tagged for easy identification. These tags can also be included in subsequent search criteria and facilitate activities such as classification and e-discovery.
- Powerful Searching
- Barracuda offers easy-to-use search capabilities, ranging from the most basic search by a user for a misplaced email, to advanced Boolean search strategies for audits and e-discovery. Search parameters can be saved and reused, and text searches may include contents, attachments, and a wide range of metadata fields.
- Comprehensive Audit Trail
- Barracuda preserves an accurate record of all system activities, helping you maintain and demonstrate regulatory compliance. The search capability allows administrators to focus in on a specific set of activities, and you can easily export audit data if needed for subsequent analysis or reporting.
- Content Policies and Alerts
- Barracuda lets you define a broad range of policies specifying acceptable sources and content for both outgoing and incoming email traffic. If a user violates these policies, administrators receive an immediate alert.
- Retention Policies
- Rapid Implementation
- Barracuda is very easy for customers to set up themselves by following our step-by-step guide. There are no additional implementation or setup charges, and implementation for most customers typically takes less than one hour.
- Standard-Format Storage
- Barracuda archives data using industry-standard formats, so organizations can easily extract and export their archived data to PST or EML format whenever needed. This avoids the “data lock in” situation found with products from other vendors which store archived data in proprietary data formats.
- Single-Instance Storage
- Barracuda maximizes storage efficiency by using single-instance storage, which eliminates all duplicate copies of message bodies and attachments. Full message compression further minimizes your ongoing storage requirements, and reduces backup windows for your Message Archiver appliance.
- Multiple Barracuda Message Archiver appliances may be clustered for high availability or solution expansion. This enables you to expand capacity as your business grows, without over-provisioning resources before they’re needed.
- Cloud-Connected Archiving
- Data on the Message Archiver appliance can be mirrored to the Barracuda Cloud for backup and disaster recovery purposes, or for longer-term storage. Scale up your capacity by extending your archive into the cloud for secure and cost-effective off-site storage.
- Exchange Message Stubbing
- The Message Archiver can optionally employ Message Stubbing to reduce size of your Exchange Information Store, shrink Exchange backup windows, and simplify Exchange management. This process replaces the original copy of each email with a shortened stub, while retaining seamless access to all messages for end-users.
- Rapid Implementation
- Cloud based Central Management
- The Barracuda Cloud Control web-based management portal enables administrators to manage the configuration and operation of all their Barracuda services and devices centrally from a single location. This simple interface makes it easy for small and medium-sized organizations to implement and support their Barracuda archiving solution with minimal IT overhead.
- User Management
- Barracuda integrates with LDAP services such as Active Directory and Azure AD to simplify the ongoing management of user-level access controls. Additional users can easily be set up and managed locally if needed, and there is no charge to retain historical data for users who have left.
- Role-Based Access
- A variety of predefined user roles are built in, to enable you to easily control individual users’ access to archived data, and to manage their use of specific archiving features and functions. Granular access permissions for auditors can be configured to restrict access to specified sets of data.
- Federated Search
- Federated search provides an integrated search capability for data archived across multiple Message Archiver appliances and the Barracuda Cloud. A single search query will target all these individual archives, then merge the results and present them back to users as a seamless set of data.
- Usage Reports
- The Barracuda Message Archiver provides comprehensive reports on archiving activity, cost savings, and projected storage growth. These can help you optimize how your infrastructure is used and deployed, as well as support your forward planning.
- Security features built into the Message Archiver appliance include tamper-resistant storage and a hardened OS. All data is scanned for viruses, spyware, and malware before being archived. Customer data in the Barracuda Cloud is protected using AES 256-bit encryption, with geographically distributed data centers and multiple data copies providing redundancy. SMTP journaling is secured using TLS encryption and public key cryptology (RSA 1024), and remote connections to the Cloud Archiving Service use HTTPS or Secure FTP.
- Cloud based Central Management